The Global Consciousness Project (GCP):
- Can be summarised as follows: “The behavior of our network of random sources is correlated with interconnected human consciousness on a global scale”
- What is being used to plot changes in consciousness?: Random Number Generators (RNG)
- What are they indicating?: During major global events, at those times when large numbers of people are emotionally charged the intensity of the consciousness impacts the randomness of the RHG
- What are the stats on this?: The probability of this effect being just a chance fluctuation is less than 1 in a billion
- How big is this project?: The GCP instrument is a network of random number generators around the world. There are about 65 nodes in the network, and at each one, random data trials are recording continuously, one trial per second, and have done so for over the past 13 years
- What is this consciousness that they monitoring? The RNG show a stronger effect when events evoke deep feelings of compassion (e.g Princess Diana’s death; Chilean miners found alive), but smaller effects when the level of fear is high (Wikileaks Diplomatic cables). [Some suggest that compassion is an interpersonal, connecting emotion, while fear drives us toward personal survival; it separates us]
- So, how did the GCP start?: In 1979, Robert Jahn, at Princeton University, established the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) laboratory to focus on an engineering approach to the question whether sensitive electronic devices including random components might be affected by special states of consciousness, including strong emotions and directed intention
Beginning the Conversation
As you have probably gathered by now I love all this stuff where science gets involved. I’m not sure why it excited me but I like it when science meets the challenges of the unknown head on.
Am I the only one who thinks, not only is there a place for science in the study of all things unknown, it is imperative that scientists use their skills to research the heck out of consciousness!